Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Elusive Lava Rock

So my fleet and rule book will be here tomorrow.  I will hopefully be able to pick them up before I have to go to class in the evening.  To get a head start on a little bit of terrain, I decided to use lava rock for asteroids.
HAWT!!!


On my way to my Pathfinder game this evening, I went to Lowe's to pick up some lava rock (which is a misnomer if you think about it) but all I could find was a big bag of red rocks.  While I imagine I could have made this work, it would have involved way more labor than I prefer.  If I'm going to work hard at this, I would just use scrap pieces of foam in my basement.  However, natural lava rock pretty much just requires a flight stand and MAYBE a drybrush layer or two and you're set.  Alas, it was a no-go.

After returning home from slaying goblins and a bandit camp in the name of Iomedae, I did a bit of searching on the internet and it seems that Lowe's and Home Depot do indeed have natural colored lava rock but I was looking in the wrong section.  Apparently, the natural stuff is used in gas grills and would most likely not be next to the mulch.  So I've checked the stock of both stores online.  Home Depot seems to be a good bet and is relatively nearby Dewayne's World.  I can stop by on the way to pick up my fleet and grab a bag of Mr. Bar-B-Q lava rock.  I don't know what I'm going to do with seven pounds of it but it's five bucks.  I think I can manage it.  A few flight stands should finish this project quite quickly.  I will definitely document it for you to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment