Friday, January 25, 2013

Randy's First Impression of FSA


My brother asked me to write an article on my thoughts regarding this new game that he has discovered, Firestorm Armada. At first I was inclined to roll my eyes and say, "Here we go again."  
Randy Tested.  Randy Approved!

My brother has tried to get me interested in just about every miniature and D20 game that has come out since 1997. While it can be rather annoying, every once in a while I find myself having a really good time.

I remember the first time I saw a Warhammer 40k game. I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. We ended up obtaining some models and playing from time to time. My brother picked up on the rules faster than I did and enjoyed a little more success than myself.  As soon as Battlefleet Gothic came out we owned it. This was when my reign as supreme commander of ass kicking began in our household. I never lost a single game of BFG. That was 16 years ago and my record still holds today. Huzzah!  BFG eventually fell by the wayside along with 40k and we leaned more to video games and the like. Years later we got a back into 40k a little but found that BFG was no longer supported and was practically dead. Tears flowed like the rivers of ancient Babylon. I just could not get back into learning the rules and everything that went along with being proficient at 40k. Blaaahhh. I'm out, sold my army and everything.

Fast forward a year or so and I am now sitting here listening to my brother babble about something called Firestorm Who Gives a Shit. Blah Blah Blah. The only thing that interested me was when he said that it was similar to BFG. He kind of got my attention but I had been told about so many miniature games that I really just didn't care anymore. Undeterred by my lack of interest he ordered a couple of starter fleets, put them together, sent me pics and TRIED to get me pumped about it. No luck.

I was bored tonight and invited my brother and my annoying friend Kevin over and they brought Firestorm Armada (FA) with them. I had a couple vodka and waters and decided to try my hand at this mess.  I was surprised at the ease with which I picked up on the rules for FA. In less than five minutes we were making our first moves and I was firing a broadside from my Sorylian Battleship. The ship cards are super easy to decipher and the movement rules are so simple it's not worth mentioning. The firing is quick and easy and the damage is even easier to assess.

There are few things that I dislike about the game. One would think that the armor on the rear arc would be lighter than the front and sides,, but it's not. This bothered me at first but once I got into the game it just further simplified the process and made the game flow smoother. Smooth is fast and fast is fun.  We started out swapping fire from long range which did not bode well for my Sorylian BS due to the amazing rail guns on the Dindrenzi BS. I quickly closed the distance and got into my optimum firing range. Once here I quickly evened the damage dealt and started tightly maneuvering around his ship firing at his sides and rear. I got his ship down to the point that he had no choice but to risk turning into his own mines to take a shot at me with his forward guns to end the game. Unfortunately for the men aboard his ship his mines were most effective. His ship was destroyed by his own mines and I limped away, bloody but victorious.

Final thoughts: Firestorm Armada is a great game that will suck you into a battle very quickly. You'll soon forget that these are bits of plastic and start to feel very protective of your ships. The rules are simple enough that you can pick them up very quickly. This has the added benefit of allowing you to stop thinking about the rules and start thinking about tactics. This is my favorite thing about this game. I have a lot of things going on in my life and sitting around reading codexes just isn't happening. I just like to move, turn, shoot and win; FA lets me do that.



In his free time, Randy enjoys alcoholic beverages and chasing car thieves down in his underwear.  We may have convinced him into joining our new resin cult!

No comments:

Post a Comment