Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Asteroid Tutorial

As promised, here is my tutorial for cheap and simple asteroids!  Instructions after the break.




So when I started this little project, I had it in my head that I was going to take pictures to document each step.  However, I realized that there were only a few steps and taking a picture of them would just be insulting.  So, let's get this tutorial going!

Step 1: Get The Rock

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy lava rock in the grilling section.  You can get the landscaping rock but, at least in my area, they only keep the red or black in stock.  The rocks in the grilling section are all natural with no dyes or anything because they are used for gas grills and you don't want that stuff in your food.  The best part is: PRE-PAINTED!!!  Sure you can paint your lava rock, but why?  I would rather play games!

Step 2: Drill a Hole

Get a drill or a dremel or something and drill a small hole into the bottom of each rock.  The hole should be the same size as whatever peg you're going to shove up in there, obviously.

Step 3: Assemble Your Bases

I used a bunch of old GW bases that I just had lying around.  FREEBIE!!  This is why I'm a pack rat when it comes to this hobby.  Took me all of two minutes to assemble the bases.  We're almost there!

Step 4: Glue them Together

Put some glue on the tip of your base.  Shove it up in the hole you drilled.  You're a terrain master.

Step 5: Take Pictures

I always show off my hobby stuff to all of my friends on facebook who could give a crap about toy asteroids.  I don't know why but I find it entertaining.  I guess it's my need for approval or something.



So there you have it boys and girls.  You now have asteroids to crash into during your Firestorm Armada games!  If you feel I really need the pictures for this tutorial, let me know and I will go back and take some.  However, if you need pictures to follow these instructions, you probably won't be able to find your way to the store to get the rocks in the first place.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment