Sunday, June 9, 2013

Asteroid Base!

First, let me apologize for being away for so long.  I haven't abandoned the game or anything.

Second... ASTEROID BASE!!



Look at these guys!  They turned out pretty sweet, actually, for something I did while slightly drunk.  Let me know if you guys want a tutorial on how to do these.  They're very easy to do and don't take a lot of time at all.  I have more bits from Firestorm terrain pack that I still need to use so I can make another base or two.  I'd love some ideas for something different so feel free to suggest something!

Does this look like a secret lair or what?!

I've seen lamer models from the Star Trek prop department.

So that's it for now.  I'm still painting my Dindrenzi fleet.  They could be finished in a day or two if I'd work on them.  I just really hate painting.  I promise I will get them finished so you all don't have to look at white fleets every time I take a picture.

5 comments:

  1. Tutorial please - I'm guessing foam or polystyrene for the asteroid proper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pink foam. I just took some spare pieces I had laying around and started cutting and pulling chunks off until it was in the shape I wanted. Then I just glued the pieces from the terrain kit on, painted it up, and that was that. I'm away from home playing army for the next month so it'll be a while before I can get you some pictures up but I'll try to when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi are you still there? How do you do those magnificent space stations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denis, I haven't updated the site or anything in ages as we have moved on to other games for the time being but, as far as these asteroid bases go, they were super easy. I have maybe an actual hour of work invested in these fellas.

      Just get yourself some pink foam insulation and start chipping away at it until it is in the shape you want and then just add on the little buildings from the little pack of space station bits... which is no longer for sale apparently? You may have to look into that. Anyway, if you CAN still find those, glue them on there. After that, hit the whole thing with a light dusting of some aerosol primer (black is best) and let it eat at the foam just a bit to give it a rough texture. Once all of that has dried, go in and paint it all up by hand and drybrush. Boom. You're done.

      I looked around and it looks like a good alternative to what I did would be to get the Modular Space Station Pack for Dropfleet Commander and use thoes bits. I imagine you'll get very similar results!

      Cheers!

      Delete